LPC’s missions, both local and abroad, are encouraging examples of this congregation’s determination to be a blessing to all God’s people. Thank God that we may participate personally in the outreach of LPC. As you view those pictured and listed here, please envision the larger outreach our church is privileged to have through each one. Ask God to uphold their daily life and their work. Pray for each one to have insight, courage, provisions and safety. And last, but certainly not least, pray for God to help you discover your role in His charge to us in Mark 16:15 to “Go into the world and proclaim the good news to the whole creation.”
Following are some of the ministries LPC is supporting, with links to their websites, if available:
- Kristi and Bob Rice, PC-USA Missionaries to South Sudan https://www.theoutreachfoundation.org/rice-bob-and-kristi
- IMCK Hospital, Congo, IMCK.org
- Lungandu Parish, Lewes School, Congo
- Mission Aviation Fellowship, Global, maf.org
- Joseph and Esther Sharon, International Cultural Bible Ministries, India
- Christian Friends of Korea, cfk.org
- Clay and Cindy Dunn, Managers of MPH (Methodist Presbyterian Hostel, Kinshasa DRC http://www.appointmentcongo.org/dunns/index.html
- Samaritan's Purse, Operation Christmas Child, samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child
- Bill & Gale Johnson, Presbyterian Evangelistic Fellowship, France, pefministry.org
- Missionaries in Central Asia
In 2005, we started our journey of partnering with our Presbyterian friends in Lungandu Church. Who would have guessed the blessings we have both received as a result. We were for the most part ignorant about the people, lifestyle, church activities and needs of the people in that church. They were excited about the partnership but not really knowing what to expect.
Over the years we have exchanged visits to learn more about each other and to share our faith. With the financial contributions from us, they labored to build a school. Today children can receive their primary and secondary education at the Lewes School. The women received a grant to build a business center for their sewing business which in turn allowed them to earn an income. Local labor was used to construct the building. What an impact this has made for the people in that church! In 2018 Lungandu Parish added three new classrooms to the church compound and recently the church members voted to begin a capital campaign to enlarge their sanctuary. Our brothers and sisters have held twenty-four hour prayer vigils to strengthen our partnership as well as to lift up special needs we have shared with them. We have also prayed for those who were sick and in need in their church.
Our friends in the Congo truly believe that God has brought us together for a special purpose. The personal relationship is what has kept this partnership strong.
Lewes Presbyterian Church follows the practice of allowing members and other contributors to pledge specifically to mission activities and to general operating expenses. In recent years, LPC mission giving has represented about 20 percent of total contributions. Approximately 50 percent of total mission giving is for local missions. In addition, LPC Covenant Partners have assumed leadership positions in a number of the local missions and also contribute many volunteer hours to these programs.
In 2019, LPC committed funds the following local mission organizations. Links to their websites are provided if available:
- Community Resource Center, Rehoboth Beach DE, helping people in need, rehobothcommunitycenter.org
- Crisis House, Sussex County, Shelter for the Homeless, scchsinc.org
- Alternatives to Violence, Georgetown DE, Ministry to Prisoners, avpusa.org
- Habitat for Humanity, building homes for families in need, sussexcountyhabitat.org
- Sussex Pregnancy Care Center, Georgetown DE, pregnancy support, sussexpregnancy.com
- New Coverdale NCOM, helping the poor in rural Delaware
- The Way Home, Sussex County, transition of released prisoners, thewayhomeprogram.wordpress.com
- Gideons International, Bible distribution (local and international), gideons.org
- Delmarva Teen Challenge, Seaford DE, restoring broken lives, delawareteenchallenge.org
- Young Life, sodel.younglife.org